Instagram is in the process of rolling out 2FA to help protect user accounts. The security feature can be turned on in the Options menu. (Only some user accounts currently have the feature - if it does not appear in your Options menu it will likely be added in the coming months.)
1. Click on the Options menu icon in the top right corner of your account profile page.
2. Under “Account” click on “Two-Factor Authentication”
3. You will see a message notifying you that a security code will be sent.
4. A pop up message will ask you to add your phone number. Click on “Add Number.”
5. Enter your phone number and click “Next.”
6. A confirmation code will be sent to your phone via SMS. Enter the code in the field asking for it.
Two-factor authentication is now protecting your account!